"This series is about how those in power have used Freud's theories to try and control the dangerous crowd in an age of mass democracy."
— Adam Curtis' introduction to the first episode.
"To many in both politics and business, the triumph of the self is the ultimate expression of democracy, where power has finally moved to the people. Certainly the people may feel they are in charge, but are they really? The Century of the Self tells the untold and sometimes controversial story of the growth of the mass-consumer society in Britain and the United States. How was the all-consuming self created, by whom, and in whose interests?"
Sigmund Freud's work into the bubbling and murky world of the subconscious changed the world. By introducing a technique to probe the unconscious mind, Freud provided useful tools for understanding the secret desires of the masses. Unwittingly, his work served as the precursor to a world full of political spin doctors, marketing moguls, and society's belief that the pursuit of satisfaction and happiness is man's ultimate goal.
Download "The Century Of The Self" (archive.org)
Reference : BBC ~ The Century Of The Self
Related Posts :
- C.G Jung : The Red Book ~ Liber Novus
- Why We Fight ? ~ A Documentary About War & the US Military Industrial Complex
- Supercharge Me ! : A Documentary About The Raw Food Diet
- The Collective Evolution : A Documentary Film
- Mysteries in Consciousness : FTF Films Documentary
- We The Sheeple : Dumbing Down Of Society
- The Secret Behind 666 : The Beast & The Carbon Atom
- A History Of God : A Documentary On Monotheistic Religions